Friday, February 12, 2010

HSSCS2: Follow your Heart

So, this week's challenge at Hand Stamped Sentiments was to make a card inspired by the movie (or book!) Pride & Prejudice.

Secret revealed: I rarely watch movies and if I do, it is mainly of the G and PG type. I know what you are thinking. Seriously, I wonder what is wrong with me myself! Honestly though, anyone who knows me will say I just cannot sit still that long! Now, if there were a TV by my craft table, we would be in business! Maybe in the next house...:)

So, in order to play, I had to review the Cliff's Notes version of this movie! From what I learned, it is a love story set in England in the 1800s. Additionally, I looked at Google images and noted the girls were dressed in a lot of white with blue and brown. Bingo!

I never make vintage cards. It is not that I do not like them, but I think I stink at them!! I had this really cool idea that never panned out...but I am happy with the final product!

I had so much fun (it is fun now...last night there were a few choice words muttered if you must know the truth!) making the blue background. I used watercolor paper, embossed the white floral pattern, inked it with Bashful Blue, then sprayed it with water. I used a sponge to blend it, let it dry, and then stamped the Script background in Soft Suede.

The main image panel was done using the reinker technique on Shimmery White cardstock.

Stamps: Script, Whimsical Words, Fifth Avenue Floral (SU), Flourish is Inkadinkado #98165K.
Paper: Soft Suede, Bashful Blue, Watercolor, Shimmery White
Ink: Bashful Blue, Soft Suede
Accessories: Half-baked pearls, Lace, Clear and White Embossing Powders


Thanks for stopping by today! Please consider playing along with the girls at Hand Stamped Sentiments!

13 comments:

Dawn said...

Well... I never saw the movie... but this card is sooo pretty! I love the blue and theat flower image is awesome! Great job!!!

Nicole & Greg Fabian said...

From the looks of it you most certainly do not stink at vintage cards. This card looks awesome!

Shannon said...

Siobhan,
Seriously?! This card is GORGEOUS! I love the torn edges. It really softens up the card. It looks like you water colored the base and did some embossing? Is that right? It is beautiful! You crack me up and since you mentioned it in your post I'll share a little secret. There were some choice words flying in my craft room Sunday. The water colored rose is actually the second I produced. The first was ripped when I tried to straighten it on the card base. UGGG! So glad I'm not the only one:) Thanks so much for creating with us. I've truly enjoyed your contributions.

Dell said...

Great card and great movie inspiration for it too.

Anonymous said...

I love your card. I love how you distressed the paper and how you used the embossing to give your card a vintage feel. I think you have a knack for creating the vintage feel. Thanks for playing at Hand Stamped Sentiments.
Genny:)

Stephanie said...

I think this turned out beautifully!! Love the placement of the sentiment & the pearls :)

I do have a tv in my craft room and it is the best/worst thing. While I can catch up on all my favorite reality (aka trash) tv, it tacks on extra time to get any project done. You'd think since it's mindless entertainment, I could be more efficient at doing two things at once!!

theneon said...

You've got this one done up to perfection -- you've certainly done your homework for the challenge too. Wowweeee! My son is hovering over the computer waiting to get on it and I showed him your card -- he approves. LOL

gale said...

Gorgeous card!! I love the embossing on the back and the flower. It really stands out!

Carrie said...

Well for someone who thinks they stink at making vintage cards you did a fab job. Your background is awesome. I love period piece movies, one of my favs...that's why I'm addicted to Tudors series on Showtime. Anyway love the card.

peggysue said...

I love the blue, you did such a nice job, the colors are so soft. I think it is funny that you had to look up cliff notes on the story but to be honest, even though one of my daughter's friends was even in the play at school, we didn't stay through the whole thing, used the excuse of littlest DD needing to stick to a strict bed time. :) I think it is very pretty, whatever story it is based upon.

CathyRose said...

Love that movie and all things Jane Austen! What a romantic card, it is just beautiful!

Gina Lindsay said...

Your background is just amazing. Well, the whole card is great, but I really love that background!

Naomi said...

WOWZER!!! This is great! Your background is amazing. I am going to have to pull out my watercolor paper and see if I can recreate this look! I LOVE vintage, I just don't seem to pull it off like others do. Lovin' that sentiment!