Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cracked Glass


So, you know how I was gloating about being done with my cards for this month? Yeah...well, I kind of forgot about a few I needed! That is fine by me, though...because it gives me a "reason" to make some cards! (As if I need that!)

This is actually an old retired SU set. I purchased it in 2003 or 2004. It has 4 images of covered bridges in all 4 seasons. The sad truth is that it has never seen ink! I am not sure what I was waiting for...I absolutely love it!

When thinking of a good layout, I thought it would be cool to try out the cracked glass technique, as if you are looking at the bridge from your window. Of course, it would be a broken window...but no one was hurt in the development of the card! LOL

I must admit...this technique was tough for me! I used SU's glassy glaze with versamark and had a difficult time getting good coverage. In addition, I think I may have ended up with more dry glaze on my desk, pants, and dog than I did on the card! It kept blowing off when I tried to heat set it! It took about 4 layers, working in quadrants, to get the glaze thick enough. Even then, I think it needed more. If you are a seasoned cracked glass person, feel free to share your technique secrets in the comments! :)

So, here you have it. What do you think? Flowers are not really Fall, are they? For some reason, the ribbon/hemp was not doing it for me. I don't know...it was just kind of difficult overall I guess. But as long as my friend likes it, that is all that matters!

Stamps: SU Changing Seasons, Weathered
Paper: SU Chocolate Chip, Really Rust, Old Olive, Very Vanilla
Ink: Adirondack Espresso, Versamark; Aquapainter with various SU inks
Accessories: SU Hodgepodge Hardware, Primas, Glassy Glaze

Hope you are having a fabulous Holiday weekend!

11 comments:

fishlips said...

The technique of cracked glass is one that drives me crazy and it seems I just stink at it, wow even with your struggles you mastered it so elegantly, this is so amazing...I'm also loving the SU image tooo!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the stamp you used and you did a great job with the coloring. I have the same problem with the glassy glaze. It is too messy and doesn't stick well. I think there is still glaze on my scrap table from when I used it last, a month ago! I'm sure your friend will love your card, it turned out well even if it was a pain to make.

Heather

CathyRose said...

It turned out beautifully! I think I have only done this technique once. I think I will have to try it again, your's look so good! As for the flowers, there are a lot of Fall flowers so I think they were just the right touch!

Louise F NZ said...

This is so pretty, great stamp. No idea on the technique, I have never tried it so can't help there.

Karan said...

This is such a perfect image for cracked glass technique, your card is very pretty. Sorry to hear you had such a tough time with it (you'd never know by looking at this card!) Cracked glass is one of my favorite techniques. How juicy is your versamark pad? That would be my only guess as to why the EP wasn't sticking well. Also, do you reink between glassy glaze layers? Hope you give this another go and have better luck with it :-).

Rachel Brumley said...

I love this card! You did a great job in coloring it! The technique "Cracked Glass" is perfect for this card.

Anonymous said...

The card is beautiful and I love that you added flowers!

I have never tried cracked glass. I will add it to my "to do" list.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mama Monkey Great card! I have that set too should take a look at it again. I have only used regular clear embossing powder for the cracked glass technique. Didn't have a problem, the trick for me is to just barely heat the embossing powder so that it is just getting sticky, then "quickly" before it has time to dry, press it face down into the embossing powder. I keep my EP in a little drawer not a bottle.

Aubrie said...

I love the cracked glass technique on this card. It fits prefectly with the image and I like the color choice, too.

thescrapmaster said...

I love that image and the cracked glass. Great job!

~Samantha

gale said...

Wow this is gorgeous! I think I have a few old sets that haven't seen ink either. You aren't alone.